Compost, Straw, Erosion Control & Soil Testing
We offer a variety of erosion control products for commercial projects and homeowners, including USCC certified compost, compost wattles, and straw wattles. We also provide consultations on soil testing and other landscaping projects. We’re happy to share our knowledge and experience so that your project will be a success.
PRODUCTS & PRICES
Wattles & Socks for Erosion Control
Straw Wattles – Certified Noxious Weed Free
- $44 each or $480 for a pallet of 12 ($40 each)
- 35 lbs.
- 9″ x 25′
- Quantity discount available for van loads (22 pallets/van)
- 150-250 lbs.
- 8″ x 20′
Wood Chip Wattles
- 150 lbs.
- 8” x 20’
- Pickup in Palmer only
- $125.00 each, 4x5ft
- Barley Straw round bales
Compost – Bulk Bags
- $200/cubic yard
- USCC Certified
- 1500-2000 lbs. per cubic yard
Compost – Truckload
- $200/cubic yard in customer’s vehicle or delivery charge additional
- 14 cubic yards per truck
- Delivery charge depends on destination and quantity
- USCC Certified
- 1500-2000 lbs. per cubic yard
USCC Compost Certification & Testing
Country Garden Farms is proud to be a member of the US Composting Council. We strive to meet the highest quality standards for our compost and test our products regularly. Please contact us for additional information about our USCC certification or composting process.
A good understanding of your soil is key to landscaping for turf, trees, flowers, and more. If you’ve had a problem with grass or other plants not thriving in your yard, we recommend starting with a soil test to assess the problem.
We recommend Brookside Labs for soil tests. Test S-001B includes available nitrogen and buffer pH which is important for determining how much lime and fertilizer you need to optimize your soil.
Did your neighbor’s yard suddenly turn from a muddy mess to a scenic expanse of healthy grass? Chances are that Country Gardens turfgrass sod made it happen: no other landscaping product transforms like turfgrass, and no one knows how to install sod better than the farm that nurtures the sod to harvest.
If you’re dreading a summer of mud in your home and want to have a beautiful instant lawn this spring, never fear! Our years of experience all over Alaska have shown that sod can be installed as soon as it is available after Memorial Day each spring. If you have soil prepared and ready or are still thinking about your project, just contact us for an estimate.
We’re not taking additional landscaping clients for 2022 but can share recommendations for landscapers for your project size and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Landscaping, topsoil, manure, composting, equine services, soil testing, nursery products, and Alaska Grown produce
How old is your compost? How is it made?
- Our compost is aged a minimum of 14 weeks and certified by the US Composting Council.
- Our composting program links horse owners with Alaskan farmers and gardeners who need their valuable compost. Our manure exchange program (read more here), serves customers who need a place to dispose of their waste and also provides a great base product for our compost. Grass clippings, brush trimmings, and other organic materials from around the farm make their way into the compost adding rich nutrients and creates a good recipe for great compost. Every bag of Country Garden Farms compost helps to improve water quality, reduce our dependence on Outside fertilizer for Alaska Grown crops, and prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Take a look here to see what the screening process really looks like:
What are the benefits of your compost?
12 reasons why you should start using compost today:
- Improves soil structure and porosity – creating a better plant root environment
- Increases moisture infiltration and permeability, and reduces bulk density of heavy soils – improving moisture infiltration rates and reducing erosion and runoff
- Improves the moisture holding capacity of light soils – reducing water loss and nutrient leaching, and improving moisture retention
- Improves the cation exchange capacity (CEC) of soils
- Supplies organic matter
- Aids the proliferation of soil microbes
- Supplies beneficial microorganisms to soils and growing media
- Encourages vigorous root growth
- Allows plants to more effectively utilize nutrients, while reducing nutrient loss by leaching
- Enables soils to retain nutrients longer
- Contains humus – assisting in soil aggregation and making nutrients more available for plant uptake
- Buffers soil pH
*Compost product claims prepared for the US Composting Council. See attached source here: verified compost benefits
Who can I contact for nursery products?
- Compost, cottonwood chips, and straw wattles for erosion control are also in our store: more coming soon!
- Please let us know if there is a particular type of tree or plant that you would like to have available in the future.
I need a load of topsoil. Do you carry any?
- Country Garden Farms can fill a pickup truck-sized load of topsoil on appointment in Palmer, though we do not have a large loader for dump trucks.
- Our recommended sources:
- American Landscaping: 563-3804
- Paul Ingram, Sherwood Schyler: 350-1668
- Tracy Moffett, Quality Topsoil: 745-2993, 355-3384
- T&J Gravel: 746-2999
Where can I find related products?
Please note, these are not endorsements, but as far as we know reliable companies.
- Horse feed testing and laboratory services:
- Soil Testing
- Brookside Labs
- Soiltest Labs: soiltestlab.com
- Fence Emporium: fenceemporium.com
- Chicken feed:
- There are many good landscape companies in the area. Please call if you need help finding a company to install sod.